Legal Advice to the Healthcare Sector
Do you need help with contract negotiations, property matters, partnership issues or setting up a new organisation? We deliver advice which is in tune with the ever-moving environment of NHS healthcare. Contact us to discuss your plans early on to ensure that you set out in the right direction.
GPs, NHS bodies and private primary healthcare providers instruct us because we provide the pro-active help and expertise you need to achieve successful outcomes and enduring relationships.
- Setting up federated organisations for GPs
- Assisting in the resolution of partnership and contract disputes
- Acting on purchases, disposals, developments and leases
- Negotiating GMS, PMS, APMS and NHS Community Contracts.
We are lawyers who provide advice in an approachable and open way to demystify the complexities of legal transactions, and help you understand the risks and achieve your aims in the time expected. We do everything to ensure that you receive a service which is good value for money, on time and in budget.
Where we are
Based in the City of London, with our offices close to St. Paul’s Cathedral, Carter Lemon Camerons we are able to get to you, or you to us, easily. That is important to us, because we build strong relationships through personal contacts.
- Setting up a company to create a GP consortium, including advising on the structure and drafting the memorandum and articles to include registration as a Social Enterprise Company.
- Creating an unincorporated association for GP practices to share staff with particular skills and expertise.
- Advising on the merger of practices and succession planning to retain the GMS Contract.
- Advising on governance issues of a GP co-operative and amending the articles of association.
- Supporting a practice in the explusion of a partner and defending the decision at the Employment Tribunal.
- Acting on the acquisition of freehold land for the development of a medical centre – agreement for lease conditional of satisfactory planning permission, obtaining wide uses for an exit strategy, monitoring and influence on works up until and including Practical Completion, and redress against contractors and professional team members subsequently.
For more information please contact us.
Meet the team
Andrew Firman is a partner in our corporate & commercial team. His employment practice covers both contentious and non-contentious work for both employers and employees. His corporate and banking practice concentrates on contractual and advice work given mainly to SMEs and charities. Additionally, he advises both individuals and businesses on a range of immigration matters.
In his work, Andrew looks for proactive and pragmatic solutions derived from a proper understanding of the client’s perspective and against the background of the commercial constraints.
Career highlights include
- running a David v Goliath style battle for a former employee of a US based bank related to the late vesting of share options following that employee’s termination at a time when the US markets were in freefall
- negotiating, finalising and drawing down for an off-shore SPV borrower at £310M facility to buy a group of companies which owned, as an investment, the London HQ of a multinational corporation
More recently, Andrew has advised upon
- the sale of a leading clinician–led healthcare consulting and IT services group to a global technology and services company specialising in the healthcare field
- the restructuring and relocation of a nutritional supplements business within the UK
- settlement of a long running shareholders dispute concerning a company running a niche members’ gym in a close knit area of London
- finalisation of the UK legal aspects to a cross border merger with an Italian company
- the negotiation of departure terms for the CEO of a leading interdealer broker
Andrew has over the years enjoyed advising many owner-managed SMEs on the range of their needs for commercial, employment and dispute related legal advice. He is delighted that the firm has recently received recognition through the award by Acquisitions International of “UK Most Trusted Law Firm of the Year to SMEs 2013” because it goes to the depth of the relationships the firm has with its clients and its target market in terms of size of business clients.
Andrew was educated at Nailsea School and holds degrees in law from Manchester and Leicester Universities. He qualified as a solicitor in 1995. He is a co-author of a Practical Guide to Drone Law.
Away from the office Andrew, married to a local GP and of occasional use to his three teenage children, runs and is heavily involved in his local church.